Saturday 28 May 2011

Colouring challenge: Colour a water scene

Hi all, this is just me getting a challenge entry in by the skin of my teeth! (again!!).  I thought I had an extra day to do this, but for some reason it's Friday and not Thursday, so I had to get a wriggle on and work into the night to colour and make this card.

Make It Colourful asked us to colour a water scene this week. I was the lucky winner last week of some Crissy Armstrong images, and I chose this one so that I could enter the MiC challenge, and phew was it a challenge! I would need to do this again as there are many things wrong, I completely messed up the beaver's face for one thing, but it's so late now and I'm so tired that I was picking up the wrong colours and making things worse, he he.  Anyway, I made the water using BG000, BG72, BG75 and a bit of B97 for the deepest shadows. For the reflections on the water, I used the same colours as in the main image, with some BG000 and BG72 mixed in as well. I've changed the photos from the ones taken last night to these that I took in daylight today.

Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight challenge this week wanted us to challenge ourselves with something new, so I wanted to try colouring the water reflection. This was really quite difficult and took a long time to work out. I'd found Marianne Walker's tutorial on it so understood in principle how to go about it, but the fact that the moose's legs meet the water much closer to the viewer's eye than the pier support posts do complicated things for me.

For the card, I decided not to use patterned papers and to instead make my own backing by scrunching and sanding some coredinations cardstock. This is a technique I've wanted to try for so long but never had the right project till now, and I felt the weathered look would fit with the fishing theme and suit a man's card. I made the sentiment in WordArt, attached to it a button and some twine that I also won this week, added a few eyelets and it was done. It's for a birthday during the summer, and I think the scene is just right for that time of year.

Anyway.....here it is:



Crumpled and sanded cardstock


Image: Great Day To Fish, from Crissy Armstrong
Colouring: Copic markers
Sentiment: created in WordArt, font is Courier New
Materials: Cordindations cardstock, bakers twine from Ribbongirl, button & eyelets from stash


I'm entering this in these challenges:
2 Sisters - Anything Goes
Aud Sentiments - Sentiment/card for a male
Cards for Men - No paper (I used cardstock I distressed myself)
Charisma Cards - Boy Oh Boy
Crafty Cardmakers - Spotlight on Challenge yourself (colouring a reflection in water)
Fresh Brewed (month-long challenge) - Beach or Summer (I've gone for the summer option)
Kaboodle Doodles - Distress/rip/tear/crumple (I crumpled and distressed the cardstock)
Make It Colourful - Colour a water scene
Moving Along With The Times - Holidays
My Partner in Crafting Crime - Twine, jute or string
One Stop Craft Challenge - Buttons & Bows
Paper Pretties - create a birthday card
Penny's Challenges - Here Comes Summer
Totally Gorjuss - String's The Thing
Truly Scrumptious - Anything Goes
Whoopsi Daisy - Birthday challenge


Hope you are all snoring away in the UK as it's past good crafter's bedtimes. I'm away for my beauty sleep as soon as I've done this.

Carole x

49 comments:

MagsB said...

What amazing colouring - at first glance I thought this was a printed pic! Great stuff, hun!

I'm off to bed in a minute, I just have this half-glass of red wine to finish :)

luv, Mags x

♥♥RubyM:)♥♥ said...

OHHHHH MY GOOODNESS!!!!! This is truly stunning omg!! Your colouring is incredible hun.

I love the reflection on the water and your color choice on the water is totally original.Wish I would of thought of that LOL!

You went over the top with this challenge hun!
Thank you for colouring with us at Make It Colourful!!Ruby♥

Joan Ervin said...

OMG...I had to enlarge your pic three times so I could study your water with the reflection...amazing work...WOW!!! The bushes in the background look FABULOUS as does the coloring on the moose and beaver....you are sooo talented, Carole....it's always such a pleasure to come to your blog to see what beautiful things you create!!!!!

Jill said...

Absolutely gorgeous card and such wonderful colouring. Thanks for playing along at Kaboodle Doodles. Jill

Alina said...

this is unbelievable, Carole, perfect colouring, my compliments! and congratulations on your winning card bij ''Make It Colorful''!
Hugs,
Alina

Fiona said...

wow...this is fabulous Carole.Love the colouring, you have made a fantastic job of it!!

Fi
x

Jackie said...

Superb card Carole, and your colouring is second to none. The reflection is fantasic :o)
Jackie xx

Janette said...

Carole this is superb to say the least...I mean wow, that colouring job is brilliant, your amazing, and the card is fabulous I just adore it....xxxx

Doreen said...

Hi Carole This is just fabulous,I love the image and your colouring is perfect.xxx

chrissy xx said...

There really are no amount of words to say how 'Stunning' this really is!! I am in total awe of you Carole. The water looks as though you could dip your toes into it! The shading under those trees! WoW! The colours are Fabulous! You messed up on nothing!
Chrissyxx

Nannieflash said...

Stunning card and your colouring 1st class. Thanks for joining us at CFM, good luck with the Challenge. with hugs Shirleyx

Renkata said...

wow Carole this is DIVINE colouring dear.
Amazing reflection and shading.

Audrey Ernst (hippieaud) said...

Carole, your card is FABULOUS! Your coloring is perfect - I love this image and you have made it into a work of art!!! So glad you have shared it with our challenges at WHOOPSI DAISY and KABOODLE DOOODLES this week:)

Martina said...

Alina made a linkt to your Blog to let us see your stunning coloring...and oh my God! How did you make this?? I am speechless! Absolutly gorgeous!!! Especially the water is terrific with the reflections....an absolute brilliant card!!!
Greetings from Austria,
Martina...now your follower =)

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW WOW WOW your colouring is awsome I love it. Thanks for playing along with our Holiday themed challenge this week on MAWTT, Hazelxox

CraftyC said...

Hi Carole, wow what a gorgeous card. Your colouring is amazing and you've created a beautiful scene!
Clairex

DesignerDiva said...

Oh my! what a great image and fabulous colouring!!
Thanks for sharing it with us at MAWTT this week and good luck with the challenge
Hugs Laurie x

melsanford said...

OMG! Your colouring is amazing! The reflection is gorgeous.... Beautiful :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Kitty said...

WOW i so wish i could colour like you! Such a lovely card, love that image!

Thanks for joining in this weeks challenge at MMCS Challenges and hope to see you again next week!

Kitty xx

Bettina L. said...

Such gorgeous card:) Love the colouring and a fab use of string:) Thanks for playing at TG this week. Bettina

china said...

Wow! Fantastic colouring - the water and reflection is so life like. Well done
xxx

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Stunning card Carol, perfect colouring, outstanding!
Kevin xx

Kendra said...

This is awesome Carole!

Audrey said...

All I can say is wow! This card is amazing! I love your coloring. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments.

Mel said...

Oh honey!
This is so amazing! Those reflections are just wowsers!! Totally brill! You so out done yourself sweetie! Go YOU!!
Hugs M xxx

Lynne in NI said...

W-O-W Carole!!!! What an amazing job you did with your water reflection!

Teresa said...

Carole this is just immaculate, your colouring is stunning! This is a gorgeous image and you've made the most perfect card, really love it. Teresa xx

Heather said...

Hi Carole, sorry I haven't been around - so many problems, one after another - over now hopefully!!
I did look at your other shadow box cards but couldn't comment at the time. I shallbe back to have a good look around soon!!
Fantastic card Carole,

Heather said...

Oh bother!!! Still having problems, this comment just posted itself so I'll start again LOL!!
Fantastic card - I love your scrunched and sanded background and your colouring is sensational as usual, especially that water!!!
hugs
Heather xx

Joanne said...

WOW Carole, this is AWESOME!!!!! You said you messed up the beavers face, well I sure can't see it! The water looks amazing, and the reflection looks so real!!! SUPER JOB!!!! Big hugs, and keep the great creations coming! I love to see your lovely talent at work!!! Big Hugs, J:)

Kathy D. said...

Oh I wish my mess ups looked that good!! Amazing coloring. Wowsers.

scrapperjulia said...

Your coloring is awesome on this image! Love the reflection in the water! Thanks for joining us at The One Stop Craft Challenge!

Kathleen said...

WOW!!!
What an amazing card! incredible!!
and a happy birthday to you Cobweb!!!
Kathleen Mc xx

Lisa Jane said...

oh what a fab scene - those characters are tooo cute lol
Thanks for joining us for my holiday challenge at MAWTT this week
Lisa x

chrissy xx said...

Congratulations Carole!! You've done it again.
Chrissyxx

Tracy said...

Hi Carole! It was so sweet of you to drop by my blog and leave a sweet comment about my HM card at MIC. :-) Your card is amazing! The water reflection is just perfect. I always know when I see your name on a challenge entry it's going to be something fabulous. Congrats on your Top Three spot. Hugs!

Cathy said...

Oh my gosh Carole. This is the cutest darn card. That image makes me laugh. The coloring is absolutely awesome. You did a fantastic job.

Julie said...

Fabulous card. Your water/reflection coloring is very impressive! I can't imagine how you got that effect. Wonderful!

Julie

Suzanne said...

WOW!! This is wonderful! Your colouring is amazing. Thanks for playing along with us at Totally Gorjuss.
Hugs Sue x

Gem said...

a lovely male card, thanks for joining in our challenge at Charisma! Gemma :)

tiffany said...

gorgeous coloring on this card!! Thanks for joining in the challenge at 2 Sisters! =)Tiffany

coldwaters2 said...

Wowzer Carole this is awesome what fabulous colouring of that great image this is stunning.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Jen Nelson said...

WOW WOW WOW the colouring is amazing...
thanks for joining us at card for men and good luck

jen xxx

Priscilla said...

Absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Your coloring is so amazing. Would love to see a video tutorial of exactly how you did the reflection.

Julie said...

Carole your colouring is absolutely stunning!! You've totally rocked the water - just amazing!!! Juliexx

Lin said...

Mags said it above. This really does look printed. You have such a great eye for where to shade etc. Gorgeous

Lin xx

Sharon said...

What a great creation.
Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty this time, hope to see you again soon.
Sharon x

Crissy Armstrong said...

Wow, amazing colouring! I totally am in love with your treatment of the water. BRILLIANT! STUNNING! The bushes too, but lets not forget the characters. Everything about this is stellar. The card as a whole, gorgeous!

CanDoMom said...

Your coloring is AMAZING! Love this...and you thought you messed up? WOW! Simply gorgeous! Would love to see you enter something on our challenge sometime! :)